Welcome to the City of McLendon-Chisholm
McLendon-Chisholm was formed by the union of two separate communities, each of which was named after a prominent landowning family in the early 1850s. Residents who were seeking zoning protection for their rural type communities voted to incorporate and the two communities were incorporated as McLendon-Chisholm on October 18, 1969.
Christmas Tree Lighting Event: Wednesday, December 14, 6:30 PM, City Hall, 1371 West FM 550. Join us for the lighting of the City Hall Christmas Tree, Christmas Cheer and hot chocolate!
- If you are interested in serving on Planning and Zoning Commission or Board of Adjustment, click here for an application. Applications should be submitted no later than November 15 to be considered for the next round of appointments.
- Click here to view City Council Agendas. The City Council generally meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM. There are occasional exceptions to the regular meeting schedule.
- The next regular City Council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, December 13 (exception to regular meeting schedule) at 6:30 PM at City Hall, 1371 West FM 550.
- Click here to view the Annual Budget for the 2016-2017 Fiscal Year that was approved on September 27, 2016.
- Emergency Notifications: Subscribe to nixle to receive alerts from Rockwall County Emergency Management, local police departments & government agencies. Nixle-it and stay connected!
Click here: or Text “RCOEM” to 888777 to subscribe.
- PREPAREDNESS 2016 – “Don’t Wait. Communicate. Make Your Emergency Plan Today.” Learn more by clicking the links below:
- What You Need to Know About West Nile Virus (click for useful information from the Texas Department of Health and Human Services.).
- City of McLendon-Chisholm Outdoor Burn Guidelines.
- The Planning and Zoning Commission generally meets on the 1st Thursday of the month at 6:30 PM. There are occasional exceptions to the regular meeting schedule. The next Planning and Zoning Commission meeting is scheduled for 6:30 PM, Thursday, December 8, 2016 (exception to regular meeting date). Click for links to agendas.
- If you are interested in serving on Planning and Zoning Commission or Board of Adjustment, click here for an application. There are currently two vacancies for Alternates to the Board of Adjustment.
- Click Here for the City Administrator’s recap of the last City Council Meeting. These are not minutes.
**Agendas and Minutes are posted on the Documents Page**
McLendon derived its name from P.A. McLendon. About 1870 P.A. McLendon, a large land owner built a store, gin, and blacksmith shop, starting the beginning of the community. This was a thriving neighborhood in the midst of an area where there was rich blackland soil that produced an abundance of cotton. In the beginning, there was a church and school.
The land which was the townsite of Chisholm, was given to a veteran of the Mexican War, King Latham in 1847. Enoch Parson Chisholm purchased 200 acres from Latham in 1856 and a few years later, 600 acres for $2.00 per acre. In 1886, the town of Chisholm was platted. Chisholm derived its name from Enoch Parson Chisholm and from his brother, B. Frank Chisholm, a colonel in the Civil War. Mr. Chisholm organized the Chisholm Methodist Church in his home in 1871. The community had two small school buildings, which were combined and formed Berry Creek Academy in 1886. A Chisholm post office was opened in 1891 and closed in 1905.