Welcome to the city of McLendon-Chisholm
Residents who were seeking zoning protection to their rural type communities incorporated as McLendon-Chisholm on October 18, 1969. McLendon-Chisholm began as two separate communities, each of which was named for a prominent landowning family in the early 1850s.
The week of New Year’s Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, trash will be picked up on Saturday instead of Friday.
Click Here for the City Administrator’s recap of the last City Council Meeting. These are not minutes.
If you are interested in serving on Planning and Zoning Commission or Board of Adjustments Click Here for the application.
The next City Council Meeting will be held on July 29, 2014 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.
The next Regular Planning & Zoning Commission Meeting will be held on August 7, 2014, 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.
**All Agendas and Minutes are posted on the Documents Page**
McLendon derived its name from P.A. McLendon. About 1870 P.A. McLendon, a large land owner built a store, gin, and blacksmith shop, starting the beginning of the community. This was a thriving neighborhood in the midst of an area where there was rich blackland soil that produced an abundance of cotton. In the beginning, there was a church and school.
The land which was the townsite of Chisholm, was given to a veteran of the Mexican War, King Latham in 1847. Enoch Parson Chisholm purchased 200 acres from Latham in 1856 and a few years later, 600 acres for $2.00 per acre. In 1886, the town of Chisholm was platted. Chisholm derived its name from Enoch Parson Chisholm and from his brother, B. Frank Chisholm, a colonel in the Civil War. Mr. Chisholm organized the Chisholm Methodist Church in his home in 1871. The community had two small school buildings, which were combined and formed Berry Creek Academy in 1886. A Chisholm post office was opened in 1891 and closed in 1905.