Yesterday the 2017/2018 budget, which includes a reduction to the tax-rate to an even $0.15/$100 in property value, was approved. Though it reflects an increase in fire-protection services, consideration of MCVFD’s 2018 proposed budget will begin in October, when the City Council will meet with the organization’s leadership, just as they have done with all other city contractors (the MCVFD fiscal year begins January 1).
Though more than 90% of last year’s MCVFD budget was funded by taxpayers inside the city, more than half of all the emergency calls dispatched served those outside the city. The remaining 10% ($67,500) of MCVFD’s budget comes from sales taxes collected in unincorporated areas of the county & divided among the cities of Rockwall County. This means that the majority of those who receive fire protection pay nothing for it!
The MCVFD is now requesting that taxpayers of M-C pay for another increase, which would be the fifth consecutive increase in city taxpayer funding (2014=148%, 2015=100%; 2016=91%, 2017=47%, 2018=2%).
The Council plans to meet with the leadership of the MCVFD on October 10, during a regular City Council meeting.