On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 4:42pm, the Mayor sent an email with the following notice to the editor of the Rockwall Herald Banner less than one hour after the article entitled “9-month contract mandated for VFD” was posted to the RHB website.
I am writing to highlight inaccuracies and misstatements that are included in an article posted on the RHB website entitled, “9-month contract mandated for VFD,” written by Mr. Landon Fisher, of which there are five.
1. The article refers to McLendon-Chisholm’s fire department. The City of McLendon-Chisholm has never had a fire department but has contracted with an independent company to provide fire protection service.
2. The City and the VFD have never engaged via a mutual aid agreement, but a contract for service.
3. The City of McLendon-Chisholm presented the VFD with a contract for acceptance on December 13, 2017, which will guarantee fire protection services to the City for the next 33 months and have received confirmation of receipt from the VFD on December 15, 2017.
4. The City of McLendon-Chisholm has never had a fire department and has therefore not disbanded one. The current contract with the VFD is still in full effect through the end of the year. Please also refer to item #3, above.
5. “a move which would dramatically raise the cost of fire services to citizens of unincorporated areas surrounding the city,” is a statement that for which I can find no grounds. Both the County and the City have contracts submitted to the VFD that is waiting to be accepted, both of which ensure that the cost of fire safety does not increase for either citizen inside or outside the City.
Please also note that Mr. Kipphut, who is quoted in the article, is indeed a citizen of McLendon-Chisholm. However, he has played no role in any actions of the Council on this or any other matter and holds no position on any board or committee of the City, the County or the VFD. I contend that Mr. Kipphut’s opinions that are in print on this matter are unfounded and invite Mr. Fisher to meet with me at his convenience if he is interested in reporting an alternative point of view to that of Mr. Kipphut.