The transition from hot summer nights to cozy fall days is here. Atmos Energy remains focused on year-round preparations for the winter heating season. We also have tips to help you stay safe and conserve energy so you can be ready for winter too.
All year round, from gas supply to delivery of natural gas service at the meter, Atmos Energy is preparing for winter weather. As your household also prepares for winter, using energy wisely and making a few household changes can make a big difference in how much you spend on natural gas and other energy bills. Atmos Energy offers rebates for high-efficiency natural gas appliances, energy-saving devices, and weatherization upgrades for customers in Colorado, Louisiana, Mississippi, and parts of Texas – visit www.atmosenergy.com/rebates for details.
Remember that colder weather may impact the amount of natural gas you use. To save energy and money, please consider these energy-saving tips where safe to do so:
- Lower your thermostat to 68 degrees during the day and 58 degrees when you are away from home.
- Reduce your shower and bath time. Showering and bathing can account for 40 percent of your home’s hot water use.
- Lower your water heater temperature to 120 degrees. Water heating accounts for as much as 25 percent of the energy consumed in your home.
- Do not use a pool heater. Instead, run your pool pump during the coldest part of the day to circulate the water and prevent freezing.
- Operate your clothes washer, dryer, and dishwasher only when fully loaded.
- Unless a fire is burning, close your fireplace damper to prevent warm air from escaping up the chimney.
If your natural gas service lapsed for any reason and you need to reconnect service, contact Atmos Energy now to schedule an appointment – before cold weather sets in. The Atmos Energy customer service team is available at 888.286.6700, Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Central time – or visit the Account Center anytime at www.atmosenergy.com.
Sign Up for Text Alerts
When the forecast calls for extreme cold to arrive, Atmos Energy will closely monitor the weather and stage qualified, well-trained employees across our system. We will communicate regularly with customers and communities before, during, and after extreme weather events. To sign up for text alerts, adjust your notification preferences in the Account Center.